Leah Gray, sales negotiator with leading estate agents Hunters Teesside, gives her top tips for easy and inexpensive ways to get your home ready to sell…
1. Spring clean: Freshen-up your home by giving it a good clean – top to bottom and inside and out, and remember to air the rooms. Cleaning the windows will also help increase the natural light into rooms. Banish nasty smells by having the carpets and upholstery professionally cleaned and, if you have a cat, before a potential buyer views your home make sure the litter box is clean.
2. De-clutter: You can make your home appear more spacious by de-cluttering rooms. It will also make it easier for potential buyers to view your property if they don’t have to pick their way through piles of shoes in the hallway or toys in the lounge. Pack away rarely used or out-of-season items, including clothes and footwear. Thin out piles of books, magazines and DVDs. Collect toys together and store in baskets or boxes.
3. Repairs and DIY: Carry out minor repairs such as fixing a dripping tap, filling holes or dents in walls or woodwork or fixing fences and gates. Complete any outstanding DIY jobs.
4. Tidy the garden: Cutting the grass, weeding the flowerbeds, trimming hedges and removing any litter from your garden, especially the front garden, will make your property look more inviting to potential buyers and improve its kerb-appeal.
5. A fresh lick of paint: Repainting tired or worn décor can give a room a lift and, depending on the colour chosen, help make it look lighter or larger.
6. Add a splash of colour to your home: Current trends in interior design have shown that by adding just a splash of colour to one or two walls you can achieve a fun and vibrant look without it being too overpowering whilst keeping things interesting.
7. Design and trends are always changing: Make sure you have a neutral base to work from and keep it light, bright and airy
A lot of what is mentioned above is based on feedback from potential buyers. We believe by removing these small reasons at the beginning of marketing will help find a buyer sooner and you’ll be amazed what a difference these small changes will make to the presentation of your home.
Sales negotiator, Hunters Teesside